EU-28/EFTA citizens: self-employed

EU-28/EFTA citizens who are coming to Switzerland to open a business and be self-employed are subject to the same type of permits than employed applicants. Once in Switzerland, they must announced themselves to the authorities online.

After three months, a B permit must be obtained.

The same process applies to EU citizens planning to work or be self-employed in Switzerland (L and B permits).
A permit application form must be filled up and can be downloaded from the website

Additionally, applicants must provide a cover letter detailing the nature of the business, a business plan, a proof of the professional address, the inscription to the “registre du commerce” and all necessary information about the business and its employees.

All the relevant information is provided on the SECO (Secrétariat d’Etat à l’économie) website (

For further information, contact us

Tell Us About Your Case

Fill out the form below and we will get back to you shortly

Contact our lawyers Join us

This website aims to provide general information regarding Swiss law and should not be regarded as a legal opinion. For more specific advice, do not hesitate to contact us.